Monday, February 25, 2008

Timeworn burrows


Seen throughout the main facade's pediment of the Pantheon and noticed again in the great walls of the Colosseum is an echo of
perforated surface in what I recognized as 'burrows', holes that I imagined having multiple representations- eyes, opened mouths, ear drums, pores. These 'burrow' marks I interpreted as stories lost in time that are surfacing from the depths of the withering stone. The travertine stone itself I believe has a voice I recognized in the Pantheon and Colosseum. This stone is known as the official 'stone of Rome', because of its large quantities from antiquity still present in Rome. It amazes me that this yellowish limestone formed by precipitation of calcium carbonate has such longevity and durable qualities to outstand time. Despite the stone's long-life, the 'burrow' marks that appear time worn or carved out retain many mysteries and stories that exist within the character of the travertine stone. I interpret the 'stone of Rome' with its withering character in a poetic manner, as I imagined the precious story of Doris, her voice and hand marks emerging from the stone- her voice once lost in the cavity of time, now surfacing from the 'burrows' to reveal the secrets of her hand-writings. One photo I found on the wall of the Colosseum inspired me to include illustrations of scratchy illegible text in stone brick, to commemorate the chimney where these precious letters were found hidden.

No comments: