Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Church of Sagrada Familia, Barcelona



The Church of Sagrada Familia in Barcelona has been the main source of my last three paintings this semester. Last month, I had the opportunity to visit this church, which is still under construction. Antoni Gaudi, my favourite architect, originally designed this church and worked on it until his death in 1926. Under the church is a museum dedicated to the original plaster models, sketches, and floor plans for the church's construction. One sketch in particular interested me. It was of the geometric shapes made by the columns and vaulted ceilings in the central nave. Being fascinated by patterns and also architectural drawings, I used these shapes to make three paintings. I see architectural drawings as beautiful art pieces which are decorative and precious already.

No comments: