Monday, April 7, 2008

La Laine des Moutons, cest nous qui la...



Florence made an impact in the textile market in the Renaissance. The guild responsible for the import, processing and export of wool was of the most profitable of the guilds. I expected to see more textiles when I arrived here in Florence and although I was disappointed not to, I was inspired to elaborate on my knowledge of the material and the processes that go along with it. My work has been impacted by the history of wool and by the people here in Florence. I feel that I am crossing cultures, my own with the one here in Florence. My mother used to sing a song about how to make wool into yarn. That song has inspired me to find the original process of my materials and to connect with the people who processed the wool for my project that I may not have met. Those people became the aura of my afghan to me. Passing through so many hands to become the final product.

No comments: